Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Well informed: Privacy 2.0

Privacy is defined in simple terms as a person who secludes themselves and information about themselves, from people and selectively express themselves. I didn't research an article but I did skim read here and there and based off information and settings I have observed. Privacy inst what it used to be. Now a days the things that you think are private really aren't though they look and seem as they are. I like to look at social media, and technology when it comes to this particular topic.

 Social media websites are supposedly meant to keep particular information about you private, and sharing with those what you want to be shared about yourself, thus somewhat fitting the true definition of privacy. You can post whatever you want to social media, especially Facebook, but at the same time you can't because someone is always watching. Though you shouldn't be posting negative things anyway, if you do an employer or someone who holds your fate in the workplace may come across something by accessing your social media profile and see something that they don't like which can lead to being dismissed from the job, suspension, or even a pay cut but either way it just doesn't seem really private to me. Now I definitely support someone who doesn't want a person doing unethical things on social media, or speaking out against the company to work for me either, but on the logical side, at-least from my perspective, that proves to me that social media isn't that private. I really noticed this with the NCAA because they are constantly monitoring everything you do as an athlete. They monitor your social media accounts what you do outside of football and a multitude of other things. As a student athlete you are constantly on your toes because one slip up can get you booted so at the end of the day there really is no real privacy, which is strange given the fact that we are not paid but students first.

Technology is also something that invades privacy. As humans we have the right to be private and not put all of our business out there. With the new smart phones privacy has kind of become not as important or non-essential I guess! Phones are always tacking your whereabouts and I have watched a few videos about how some of our phone calls are being recorded by the government, and I am not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I believe this to be true that the government knows where we are at all times. Things that we search, talk about, and post on social media are always constantly floating out there though they were supposed to be deleted. And now a days it is so easy to steal someones identity it starts to make you question if privacy is real at all. How is it possible for these people to access your information if we have privacy?

Here is a video that I found about privacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment