Monday, September 21, 2015

Well Informed 2.0: Learning (Culture)

Learning is defined as the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience or skills, or by being taught. I couldn't really think about what to talk about and there really wasn't an article that I wanted to read, but what did cross my mind in regards to learning was music and the lyrics behind it; actually a particular song. There is a song by Dizzy Wright called the first agreement that is talking about particular cultures lack of knowledge in regards to themselves and their own. The lyrics go as such, "I heard if you want to hide something from a N*&&@ the best way to do it is to put in a book. The Idea behind this set of words is that African American people don't read enough books, or find it necessary, therefore if you want to keep something from them involving their history, etc... Put it in a  book because they wont look for it there. I  noticed the whole song just revolved around learning and educating yourself because nobody else will do the educating for you. The intro also give a brief description of what knowledge comes from the word! Meaning the knowledge you gain from a wise word or the word of God. As Americans period we are constantly learning new things simply by observation. I learn a lot of things through observation such as my skill of drawing, dancing and playing football if I see it I can learn it very fast.



 
 
 
My Position: I agree with his statement in those lyrics in regard to limiting your own learning or inhibiting your own knowledge. I have noticed that within my own community, that people don't know anything about their history or past or factors that really do matter to them all because they refuse to read and or educate themselves. I love reading and I have grown so much from reading and researching, and I have learned a lot of new things and gained knowledge especially about African American history. Most people wouldn't even Fredrick Douglas was half white, or that before slavery Black people were kings and queens and pharos of empires like Kush. Learning and understanding is important because you will always have an answer for any question or topic brought your way. If learning isn't apart of your livelihood diet  you will continue to still make the same mistakes and dumb choices because you refuse to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment